Not so fast!
Here are some precautions you should take when using an ATM:
- Try not to use an ATM alone. Either take someone with you or only use an ATM when others are around.
- Choose an ATM that is well lit and does not have tall bushes or other potential hiding places nearby. (Avoid using an ATM after dark if possible.)
- Look around when you arrive at an ATM. If you see anything that makes you uncomfortable or anyone who looks suspicious, do not stop. Either use an ATM at a different location or come back later.
- Have your card ready when you approach an ATM. You are easy prey for a thief if you are fumbling with a wallet or purse.
- Avoid standing right behind another person who is using the ATM when you arrive. Give them enough space to conduct their transaction in privacy.
- Stay alert to your surroundings while using the ATM. Look around every few seconds while making your transaction.
- Protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Shield your PIN from onlookers by using your body.
- Be sure you have your card and your receipt when your transaction is finished, and then leave immediately.
- Avoid counting or otherwise displaying large amounts of cash.
- Be alert for anyone who appears suspicious as you leave. If you think you are being followed, go to an area
It's your money, though, and you worked hard to earn it. Take a little extra time to protect it.